Monday, December 28, 2009

In Praise of Imam Ali


Below are verses sung in qawalis praising Imam Ali r.a. If you can read the Persian written in English, you will notice the rhyme, rhythm, and alliteration in the verses.

"Haiderium Qalandram Mastam
Banda e Murtaza Ali Hastam
Peshwa e tamam Rindanam
Ke Sag e Koo e Sher e Yazdanam!"
By Lal Shahbaz Qalandar (Syed Usman Shah)   

Translation: "I am Haideri (relating to Haider, a second name for Ali ibn Abi Talib), Qalandar and Mast (intoxicated with inspiration)
I am a servant of Ali Murtaza
I am leader of all saints
Because I am a dog of the lane of "Allah's Lion" (referring to Ali Murtaza)"

Verses found in Qawwalis by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, I am not sure who penned them though (could be Amir Khusro). They have nice rhythm and alliteration as well. 

"Ali imaam-e-manasto manam Ghulaam-e-Ali
hazaar jaan-e-giraamii fidaa-e-naam-e-Ali"
Ali is the master of all, I am the slave of Ali 
thousands life are to be sacrificed for Ali.

Other famous verses are by Amir Khusro "Mun kunto Maula ..." based on the hadith "Whoever accepts me as his master, Ali is his master too". These are sung together sometimes with the verses mentioned above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment