Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Prayer of the needy

"He Who answers the constrained, when he calls unto Him, and removes the evil". (27:62)


Sahl b. Abdallah said: “The prayer most likely to be answered [by God] is that of one’s spiritual state (hal). The prayer of the spiritual state is the prayer of a man who is forced to pray to God in order to fulfill his need.”

Abu Abdallah al-Makanisi say: “I was with al-Junayd one day, when a woman came to him. She said: ‘Pray to God so that my son be returned to me. For I have a son, who has gone missing.’ Al-Junayd told her: ‘Go away and be patient!’ She came back after a while, and pleaded with him once again. Again, he told her: ‘Go away and be patient!’ She left only to return again and again, but al-Junayd would keep saying: ‘Go away and be patient!’ Finally, she exclaimed: ‘My patience has come to an end. I am no longer able to persevere. Pray to God on my behalf!’ Al-Junayd told her: ‘If this is true, then go away, for your son has returned!’ Indeed, she went home and found her son there. She then returned in order to thank him for this. Someone asked al-Junayd: ‘How could you possibly have
known this?’ He answered: ‘Didn’t God Most High say: “He Who answers the constrained, when he calls unto Him, and removes the evil”.’

Al Qushayri's Epistle on Tassawuf.

No comments:

Post a Comment