Saturday, October 23, 2010

Childhood of Shams al Tabriz

"During my childhood days years I experienced a strange state. Nobody could understand this state of mine. Even my father didn't know what was happening. He used to say, "You aren't crazy but I don't understand the way your life is - you haven't had the training of spiritual exercises, or fasting, or anything like that."

I said to my father, "Listen, the situation you and I are in - it's as if someone had placed a duck's egg underneath a hen. When the egg is hatched, the little duck heads for the water. Of course the mother hen panics with a flutter of wings around him, but she is made for the farmyard; it's impossible for her to enter the water. This is how we are, father. I see a sea where I can swim; it is my home. And my state is like the state of the seabirds. If you are of me or if I am of you, come in to the sea! Otherwise, go and mingle with the birds of the farmyard. Let these words be a touchstone for you"

If this is how you act with friends,
how will you behave towards an enemy? "

Sultan Walad mentions:
"Shamsuddin told my father (Rumi): When I was a child, I saw God and angels and contemplated the mysteries of this and the world beyond. I thought that everyone could see these things, but later I realized that they could not. Shaikh Abu Bakr forbid me to speak about it."

"On whom We have bestowed grace from Ourselves and unto whom We had imparted knowledge issuing from Ourselves" (Surat al Kahf, 18:65)
Verse regarding Al Khidr

From the Conversations of Shams of Tabriz

Shams appears to have been full of Jalal whereas Mawlana Rumi has expressed Jamal. And God knows best.


No comments:

Post a Comment