Thursday, November 19, 2009

Imam Zain ul Abidin and the Emperor of Ignorance

The Ummayyad emperor, Hisham bin Abdul Malik visited Makkah for Hajj. He wanted to kiss the Holy Stone, but was unable to reach it due to the great number of people present. And then came our Imam Zain ul Abidin with "his face shining like the moon, his cheeks glowing with light and his garments fragrant with perfume". When he moved towards the Holy Stone to kiss it, the crowd moved to make room for him and he was able to kiss the stone with perfect ease.

A friend of the Hisham Bin Abdul Malik asked him "Who is that person who commands so much respect among the people?" "I do not know", said he out of jealousy.  This provoked the anger of Al Farazdaq, the poet, who came forward and said "I know who the personage is, listen to what I say about him and his family." He then recited the poem.

From Unveiling of the Veiled (Kasful Mahjub) by Syed Ali Hujweri.


He is the man whose feet,
The lands of Arabia know well.
He's the man whose face
Makkah and Ka'bah aspire to see.
He's the man dearest to Zahra,
He's the man whose grandfather the Prophet is,
Whose face is the candle of night,
Like the sun which tears darkness,
His grandeur men could bear not,
His smile would give bliss to all,
His position none could reach,
His dignity none could covet,
Best among Prophets and all men, 
Is his grandfather thou knoweth not?
Holy Stone which emperors miss,
His hand would Ka'bah covet to kiss. 


Al Farazdaqwas imprisoned by the King midway between Makkah and Madinah. Imam Zain ul Abidin felt sorry for him and sent him 12,000 dinars saying he was sorry he could not do more. But, Al Farazdaq returned the money saying, "I have amassed enough wealth by falsely eulogizing kings and nobles and sinned. What I have said in your praise is the result of the love which I bear for God and for the sons of the Prophet peace be upon him, so that the Almighty may be pleased, and forgive me." But the Imam sent the money back to him saying, "If you love us, do not force me to take back what I have once parted with.". Al Farazdaq accepted the gift.

4 comments:

  1. It's al-Farazdaq, one of the most famous Arab poets in history! This poem is one of the most beautiful and most famous Arab poems, and he composed it on the spot which is even more amazing!

    It is related that al-Farazdaq was travelling (I can't remember from which city to which) and he met sayyidna al-Husayn, on his way to Kufa, just before Karbalaa. He warned him not to go and said:

    "The hearts of the people of Kufa are with you, but their swords are with Bani Umayya."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the correction. I think the copy, I have (an english translation) may have misprinted his name. I have updated the post. Indeed, it is a most beautiful poem; recited impromptu in the Kaab'a in the presence of many people.

    I have heard the statement you posted, how true! Iqbal wrote this about the incident:
    "The station of Shabbir is truth everlasting,
    Ways of Kufa and Syria change from time to time"

    The arabic poem appears to be here:
    http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/38150-al-Farazdaq-Farazdaq-fi-Madh-al-Imam-Zayn-al-Abedin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came back from Syria where I visited sayyida Ruqayya bint al-Husayn, radi Allahu anhuma.

    what is "Shabbir" ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salams bro, you are very fortunate and almost make me envious of your visits to the awliya :)

    Shabbir is a title of Imam Al Husein. I know it is an Arabic word, but I am not 100% sure of its meaning.

    ReplyDelete