Sunday, September 6, 2009

The broken hearted companions

The following are from Ash Shifa.


"Zayd Ibn Aslam said, "Umar went out at night to observe the people and saw a lamp in a house where an old woman was teasing some wool, saying:


The prayer of the good be upon Muhammad,
may the blessed bless him,
I was standing in tears before dawn, 
If only I knew when death gives us different forms,
Whether the Abode will join me to my beloved?


She meant the Prophet (peace be upon him). Umar sat down in tears." ...


"When Bilal was near death, his wife called out, "O sorrow!" Bilal said, "What joy! I will meet those I love, Muhammad and his party!"


In Ash Shifa, Qadi Iyad explains that giving life to the Sunna is an indication of perfect love, and then he mentions "Anyone slightly lacking in it is imperfect in his love while not entirely devoid of it. The proof of this is in what the Prophet said about the man who was given hadd punishment for drinking. A man there cursed him and the Prophet said, "Do not curse him. He loves Allah and His Messenger."

No comments:

Post a Comment