Friday, July 17, 2009

From sober ascetic to intoxicated lover ...

Some selections from Maulana Rumi

"I was the country’s sober ascetic, I used to teach from the pulpit –
but destiny made me one of Thy hand clapping Lovers"

- From the Divan translated by William Chittick.

"If you have lost heart in the Path of Love
Flee to me without delay
I am a fortress; invincible"


Translated by William Chittick

"Come, come again, whoever you are, come!
Heathen, fire worshipper or idolatrous, come!
Come even if you broke your penitence a hundred times,
Ours is the portal of hope, come as you are."

Not sure about this translation. Me thinks there is disagreement over whether these are Maulana's words. Check
http://www.dar-al-masnavi.org/ ... They discuss which translations are the best.


“Ways of worship are not to be ranked as better or worse than on another
Its all Praise its all right
Its not me who is glorified in acts of worship
It’s the worshippers! …

Forget phraseology
I want burning, burning…”

Do not know whose translation this is.

3 comments:

  1. The "come again" [baz -a] verse is more properly attributed to Hazrat Abi Said Abu;l Khayr RA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks cyclewala. I didn't know "baz-a" meant come again. It sounds like baaz aja (urdu) - reform yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. باز آ باز آ ہر آنچہ ہستی باز آ
    گر کافر و گبر و بت پرستی باز آ
    این درگہ ما درگہ نومیدی نیست
    صد بار اگر توبہ شکستی باز آ

    :)

    ReplyDelete