Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Caliph Ali's Hymn

"Now hath the sun withdrawn his light,  
     Now every friend is gone, 
And on this dark and dreadful night  
     I here am left alone.   
         Friendless and dark, I need not fear,  
         I know, my God, that Thou art near.  
 
"Mine enemies their plot have laid, 
     And I perforce must wait, 
For every hour their blows are stayed  
     May make those blows too late.   
        Their plots, their blows, I need not fear.   
        I know, my God, that Thou art near.  
 
"And now approach the murderous band, 
    I hear their threatening tread, 
Their cunning chief his last command  
          In muttered tones has said.   
                   That band, that chief, I need not fear,   
                   I know, my God, that Thou art near.  
 
"And now I hear their swords unsheath,  
           Their work will soon be o'er,
 I know the quenchless hate they breath, 
           Their hand is on the door.   
                    Their swords, their hate, I do not fear,  
                    I know, my God, that Thou art near."
By Amherst D.Tyssen 
http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/bmh/BMH-ADT-poem5.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment